Thursday, June 6, 2013

How We See Ourselves

Conan: Part 2, in a way. I bought this at the same Conan O'Brien show as yesterday's tee.


I was curious as to why an Irish-Catholic family like O'Brien's would name their son Conan (with the obvious pop-culture connotation - see shirt image) so I looked it up and it turns out the name is Gaelic for "little wolf hound" and Breton for "high, mighty". So there, I've learned something today and you might've too. My "job" here is done. On to the introspective stuff...

Fact: Self-image is a truly messed up aspect of human psychology. Culture, family, media and life experience all feed into it. And it is a visceral judgement, difficult to override with the most cogent of logical arguments. To top it all off, the brain is wired to focus on the negative, meaning that human nature is a glass-half-empty sort of party-pooper. We criticize far more readily than we give meaningful praise... and that applies as much to ourselves as to others.

So today, comment on this post with what you like BEST about yourself. And pick something from the category that you're most likely to criticize. I'll start. For me, the category would be physical attributes and:

I LOVE MY COLLARBONES, ESPECIALLY THAT SPOT WHERE THEY MEET ABOVE THE STERNUM


Your turn. Don't leave me hanging here, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment